PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
STOVE TOP TIME: 45 MINUTES
WONDERBAG TIME: 4 – 6 HOURS
- 1.3kg lamb neck chops (8 – 10)
- 4 medium sized carrots
- 4 medium sized onions
- 15g butter
- Oil or dripping
- 7,5ml salt
- 750ml vegetable broth (3 cups)
- 250ml cream (1 cup)
- 10ml salt
- 5ml coarse black pepper
- 600ml lamb bouillon
- 4 large potatoes, peeled and halved
- 15ml chopped parsley
- 15ml chopped chives
- 5ml chopped thyme
- Thyme sprigs for garnish
- Shred some of the lard or oil into a heavy casserole dish. Peel the onions, potatoes and carrots.
- Trim away any excess fat on the pieces of lamb neck. Bones need not be removed.
- Cut the carrots and onions into quarters.
- Toss meat in casserole until colour changes and repeat with onions and carrots.
- Remove and set aside.
- Place the potato halves, cut side down in the bottom of your casserole.
- Place the meat, onions and carrots on top.
- Add stock and season carefully.
- Simmer gently with the lid on for 30 minutes.
- Place the sealed pot on a cloth or mat in the Wonderbag and close.
- Leave to cook for 4 – 6 hours.
- Remove the casserole and carefully pour the cooking liquid into a small pan.
- Reduce by 1/3 and stir in the butter and chopped herbs.
- Pour ½ over the Irish stew, mix gently and pour the rest on top.
- Garnish with thyme sprigs and serve.