SERVES: 8 – 10
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
STOVE TOP TIME: 50 MINUTES
WONDERBAG TIME: 4 HOURS
- 250ml raisins
- 250ml sultanas
- 250ml self-rising flour
- 125g butter
- 250ml fresh brown breadcrumbs (from around 4 thick slices of bread)
- 250ml light brown sugar
- 250ml pecan nuts, chopped and toasted
- 250ml chopped cherries
- 15ml grated orange rind
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 5ml ground mixed spice
- 250ml milk
- 1 large egg
- Finely grate the butter.
- Mix all the ingredients except the milk and egg in a bowl.
- Once well combined, stir in the egg and milk, mix together and tip into a well-greased 1.5 litre pudding bowl.
- Cover with a double layer of buttered foil, making a pleat in the centre to allow the pudding to rise.
- Tie the foil securely with string, then place in a large pot on a cloth.
- Fill with water halfway up the side of the bowl and bring to the boil.
- Turn down the heat to a simmer, cover the pot and steam for 50 minutes.
- Place the sealed pot in the Wonderbag for 4 hours.
- If you are preparing this pudding ahead, remove the foil, let it cool slightly, then wrap in cling film and then fresh foil. If you are serving it immediately, unwrap and invert onto a deep plate.
- Serve with cream or custard.