Serves: 8 – 12
PREP TIME: 15 MINUTES
STOVE TOP TIME: 40 MINUTES
WONDERBAG TIME: 4 HOURS
DIFFICULTY : MODERATE
- 1½ 100g butter, softened
- 300g caster sugar
- 10ml vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 290g plain flour
- 100g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 20ml ground cinnamon
- 5ml bicarbonate of soda
- 350ml milk
- Grated rind of 1 orange
- 3 – 6 thin slices of oranges to line the top of the bowl
- Ice cream or double cream for serving
- Thoroughly grease bottom and sides of a 2-litre heatproof mould. Sprinkle with caster sugar and tap out excess.
- Lay the thinly sliced orange around the bottom of the bowl.
- In large mixing bowl, beat butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs and blend well.
- In separate bowl, stir together flour, cocoa, cinnamon and bicarb; add to butter mixture alternately with milk until well blended.
- Stir in the grated orange rind.
- Spoon mixture into the greased mould. Cover with piece of greased aluminium foil, greased side down. Fold down edges of foil around rim; fasten securely with string.
- Place a cloth in the bottom of a large pot and place the filled sealed mould on the cloth.
- Fill the pot with boiling water 2/3 up the side of the mould and bring to the boil.
- Place the lid on the pot, reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Place the sealed pot in the Wonderbag on a cloth or mat for 4 hours.
- Remove mould from the pot and cool for 10 minutes on wire rack.
- Remove the foil and run tip of sharp knife around edges; invert on serving plate.
- Serve hot with ice cream or double cream. There might be a bit of chocolate lava in the centre of the pudding if timed perfectly.