PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
STOVE TOP TIME: 35 MINUTES
WONDERBAG TIME: 4 HOURS
- 4 fresh red chilies, halved
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 8 large plum tomatoes, quartered
- 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- 10 chicken legs OR thighs, skin on
- 60ml olive oil
- 10ml garam masala OR medium curry powder
- 15ml ground cumin
- 15ml ground coriander
- 15ml ground paprika
- 15ml mustard seeds
- 45ml brown sugar
- 30ml white wine vinegar
- 10ml salt
- 10ml coarse black pepper
- 250ml water
- 250ml natural yoghurt with 30ml chopped mint mixed in
- Halve the chilies (deseed if you like), peel and finely slice the onions, then peel and chop the garlic. Quarter the plum tomatoes, and pick the coriander leaves.
- Rub the chicken legs all over with a drizzle of oil and the garam masala, paprika, ground coriander and cumin then transfer to a large non-stick ovenproof pan.
- Add another drizzle of oil and fry the chicken over a medium heat for 10 to 15 minutes, or until lovely and dark golden all over. Best to let it get really nice and dark – it will make such a difference to the end result if you get it right at this stage. Drain off any excess fat.
- Add the mustard seeds, chilies, onion and garlic to the chicken. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes, then add the tomatoes, sugar, salt, pepper, water and white wine vinegar.
- Bring to the boil, place the lid on, turn down the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Place in the Wonderbag on a cloth or mat and close.
- Leave for 4 hours or more, open and stir in the chopped coriander.
- Serve with the yoghurt mixed with chopped mint, and rice or couscous, and a crisp, refreshing salad.