SERVES: 4 – 6
PREP TIME: 18 MINUTES
STOVE TOP TIME: 45 MINUTES
WONDERBAG TIME: 4 HOURS
- 1,2kg free range chicken
- 5ml olive oil
- Sea salt flakes
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 lemon quartered
- 1 large thyme sprig
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 lt water
For the mustard butter
- 85g butter, softened
- 20ml wholegrain mustard
- 10ml sundried tomato paste
- 15ml fresh thyme leaves
- 15ml chopped parsley
- 2,5ml pepper
- 2,5ml salt
- 1 clove garlic chopped
- To make the mustard butter, beat the butter with all the seasonings until well mixed.
- Gently push your fingers under the skin of the chicken, starting from the neck, until you can push your whole hand in down the length of the breast – take care not to tear the skin.
- Spread the butter under the skin so that it covers the breasts.
- Rub the inside of the cavity with some of the mustard butter.
- Fill the cavity with the onion and lemon wedges.
- Place the chicken in a large pot, with one onion, peeled and quartered on the bottom of the pot.
- Add water and 1 chicken bouillon cube to come ¾ way up the chicken.
- Place the pot on heat and bring to the boil.
- Cover with the lid, turn down the heat and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Place on a mat or cloth in the Wonderbag for 4 hours.
- Remove the bird and place on a baking tray, and brown under the grill.
- Pour off 3/4 of the liquid and reserve as stock for future cooking.
- Heat the remaining liquid and thicken with corn starch or white onion soup powder.
- Serve with ratatouille and parsnip, horseradish and feta mash.