SERVES: 4 – 6
PREP TIME: 25 MINUTES
STOVE TOP TIME: 25 MINUTES
WONDERBAG TIME: 3 HOURS
- 200ml toasted and chopped walnuts OR pecan nuts
- 125ml chopped dried cranberries
- 80ml brown sugar
- 80ml rolled oats
- 45ml butter, softened
- 15ml lemon juice
- 15ml lemon rind
- 5ml ground cinnamon
- 6 medium to large firm baking apples
- 1lt water
- 15ml honey
- Ice cream or cream for serving
- Combine the walnuts, cranberries, brown sugar, oats, softened butter, lemon juice, rind and cinnamon in a bowl and mix well.
- Using a melon baller, scoop out the centre and pips of the apple, leaving the bottom intact.
- Carefully slice a small amount off the bottom of each apple so that they stand level.
- Divide the nut mixture between all the apples, filling each cavity tightly.
- Pierce 3 holes on the sides of each apple.
- Place the apples in a medium sized pot and add the water and honey.
- Bring the liquid to the boil, place the lid on the pot and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Place the sealed pot on a mat or cloth in the Wonderbag and seal.
- Leave to cook for 3 hours.
- Remove the pot and remove the apples from the poaching liquid.
- Serve with ice cream or cream.